Monday 27 June 2011

Day 232


Wow, it seems summer has finally arrived! (Though, of course, I’ve probably just jinxed it by saying that – so blame me for any subsequent rain). 

Anyway, as well as being overjoyed about the nice weather (at last!), I’m also really quite excited because the second draft of Slippery Souls is almost finished. I’ve managed to get 30 chapters edited – so only 8 more to go. At 30 chapters I have a total word count of 58,640 – and ideally, I’d love to add a further 12,000 to that by the time I’m done, but we’ll see. 

My brand-spanky-new copy of Writer’s & Artist’s Yearbook 2012 thudded onto my doormat this morning, woo hoo. I’ll be burying my nose in that quite a lot this week because I’ve finally come to a decision that I will try approaching agents and publishers with my manuscript, in the first instance – and then if I don’t get any joy, I will head down the self-publishing route. Now, because I intend to try the traditional way first, this means I need to prepare a dreaded synopsis and covering letter...eeek! More on that later though – I won’t dare start on those till strictly necessary (I’m too scared).

Now what else has been happening...?

Last Thursday at the Easington Writers group we were involved in our first workshop in association with the new Durham Light Infantry Museum project that we’ve been asked to partake in. We are working on poetry and prose on the subjects of glass and breath – inspired by the ‘Breathtaking – revealing a new wave in British glass blowing’ exhibition that will be taking place on 8th July 2011, which is centred around glass trombone designed by artist Kate Williams. The glass trombone itself will be played on the evening (which is apparently a treat in itself), and the Easington Writers (including myself) will be performing our pieces of poetry/prose. Tickets into the event are free, and more information can be found using the following link: http://www.brassfestival.co.uk/programme/late-and-live-and-the-amazing-glass-trombone.51.html

I’ve also added another travel report to my personal Rachael’s Travels blog (http://rachaelhdixonstravels.blogspot.com). It’s called Birthday Chills at Chillingham Castle, and is an account of a two night stay in a haunted castle (which, incidentally, knocked a couple of years off my life because I was so terrified!)

I think that’s about all of my news for now, so until next time – make the most of the sun!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment